Thursday, April 21, 2011

Planes, Trains & Automobiles

Guten morgen. Guten Tag. Guten Abend! Guten  nacht. Wherever you are, whatever the time, hello!
Today is another excellent day! Clear blue skies. Less haze on the Alps. Even less breeze than yesterday. Temps are still in 65-70 range.
Ann and I walked up the hill to the castle Hohenschwangau this morning. We felt absolutely no urge to go on the tour, but the views from there are stunning. We can see the Alpsee and all of Schwangau from up there. It is so nice to be in one place for a few days. We get to know the lay of the land and our hoteliers get to know us. We are not the pushy, hurry-up Americans. We are the ones who take remainder of the potHohenschwangau in Bavaria of coffee into the lobby bar when breakfast is over to have just one more cup. They smile at us broadly.
We are shifting transportation modes on Saturday. Instead of spending 2days returning to Paris with the car, we are going to drop the car in Kempten and take the rapid train to Paris Nord via Koln.. It will be a 9-hour travel day, but we will arrive more relaxed we think. The autobahn took it's toll on our nerves! Plus, we won't have to pay the stinkin' French tolls on the way back. From the train station, we will probably take a taxi rather than schlepp our bags on the Metro at 8:00 at night.
Ann & I are having fun as only 2, 50+ year-old American women can: people watching and dog watching. What I've noticed: teenagers are teenagers are teenagers, no matter the culture or ethnic background. Little children need naps. Older people take naps (wherever they are sitting). Dogs are friendly, but wary of strangers & horses. Always seek permission before approaching the dog. Dogs and their owners begin to look alike after awhile. Best dog so far? German Shepherd on the Rhine River cruise on Sunday. Boat captain's dog. Attentive, friendly but not outgoing.
I wish I could post photos to my blog. You'll have to check my Facebook pages, I guess. I am trying to find some logical work-around for the comment posting, too, but my German is not so good with computerese. If you want, you can email me at cscgrad@me.com. 
That's all for now!
~N

No comments:

Post a Comment